Thursday, January 10, 2008

NUS At Night: Prelude

NUS at night is a place totally different from the daytime...Students rushing from lectures to lectures, desperately finding seats in the canteen, all the talking, chatting and sounds somehow disappear once night falls...



At night, the insects and animals take over...crickets, bats and even the occasional owl make their presence felt. Others fly past you making a consistent but unrecognizable sound that leaves you wondering what it is, or if your mind is playing tricks on you.


Human beings suddenly become a minority. Indeed, even walking along the lighted corridors of NUS makes you feel uneasy. The whole place becomes a mass of emptiness and lifeless standstill...Is someone sitting at the far end?

Even The Forum at the Arts Faculty, where it is often regarded as the most happening and crowded place, is a sea of dark and coldspots... Can you see some orbs in the picture below? NUS is a place that I regularly go back to, because it holds alot of memories and familiar places, not to mention cheap food! The quiet nature of the place at night also allows me to prepare my work and/or type reports.

5th Jan 2008. I decided to accompany my friend who was staying late at the forum to prepare for her session plans the following Monday. It was 2am and I was a little sleepy so I ventured to the garden pathway beside the Old Admin Building...


The place was so dark that my flash was little use in brightening up the shot. In my camera, it looked like just a black picture, but when brightened back home, I was horrified to find so many orbs lingering above the trees!


At another tree, the picture as usual appeared black initially, but when brightened back home, I caught a bright orb on top of one of the branches, and upon zooming, it seems to reveal a lady-like facial figure within it...

8th Jan 2008. On tuesday, I was back in NUS again, settling down this time at the arts canteen, rushing for some reports and preparation for meeting the next day. Time flew by, and I found myself realizing that it was already 11.15pm by the time I finished.

I left the canteen, going along the walkway from Arts Canteen to AS6. All of a sudden, at the walkway where the row of AS1 seminar rooms were, I noticed that the air was cold, much colder than usual. Of course, I rationalized that on the right side of the walkway were trees and greenary which were naturally cold, but I still felt uneasy. It's as if someone was following or watching me. Remembering that I've my camera, I turned and took a shot of the walkway behind me...


I continued talking random pictures of what was behind me, from AS1 all the way to AS6 along LT14-15...All these while, I realized my hands were cold as ice...But it didn't strike me until I analyzed the pictures at home. I was shocked to realize that in my journey from AS1 to LT14, an orb was captured in the sequence of pictures I took, as if something WAS following me...


The 1st picture above shows a faint orb, probably due to the strong lighting of the corridoor walkway, whereas the picture above, taken along LT14, was the clearest because of the darker nature of the lighting...

What is the nature of these orbs? Why are there so many orbs around? Restless souls of soldiers who perished in World War II? At nearby Kent Ridge is the grounds where the last battalion of soldiers defending Singapore fought before the Japanese overran them. Did parts of the fighting extend to the grounds around NUS as well? What about the orb resembling a lady face? Who is she?

More questions, again...for now, let's keep an open mind...Agent BT signing off....

2 comments:

sanmao21 said...

What are these orbs actually? I'm keen to take a look at your pics. Well, could be lighting effects.

Never really felt it in NUS, though yes, some places do seem to be a little cooler somehow. maybe can check out the stretch atop central lib, the road leading to KE VII, some of those old, vacant buildings.

The Wonderer said...

Thanks 3mao for the comment! You are right, the common scientific explanation for 'orbs' is that it could be a result of a.) light reflection, b.) dust particles in the air, or simply c.) dust particle on the camera lens itself. We will be discussing more about orbs in the coming posts. As for the abandoned houses on top central library, it is the one I've explored in the first post, and will find time to explore them in depth at night. Stay tuned for more postings! :)